Cooling/Fan Upgrade FAQ

The most commonly asked questions will appear here. This is a good place to check first if you need help.
WheatPasta

Cooling/Fan Upgrade FAQ

Post by WheatPasta » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:52 pm

I know I am in the middle of making a new video, and I get side tracked, but thanks to a member on the AcePC forums I am working on a cooling upgrade.
First we need to get this thing apart. Remove your hard drive bay. Then there will be four rubber feet. Below each will be a screw. Remove all the screws, flip the Replay back over, and you should be able to now get the top off.

Now that the top is off you can remove the socket going to the LED to get the top all the way out of the way.

After that undo the black tape around the wires near the corner and remove the one further away from the corner to unplug the fan. Like this.

Now when we take a look at the actual cooling set up here
Around the fan and shroud there should be three spring loaded screws holding things to the board.
Once you get them out carefully twist and rock the shroud around to free it from the board. The piece should come loose, and under it is a thermal pad that will need removed.

Now that the everything is free we can take apart the cooling set up here.
I didn't think to take a picture before i started popping screws out. I had a hard time getting the bottom two out, and I had to end up yanking them out. However from the bottom two there are a matching top tow. Then next to that there was on one the top and bottom to hold the fan in.

Once you get the screws out there is a massive amount of glue.
With the screws and glue clear you can now gently bend the shroud. Once you get the little metal bar out of the way you should be able to get the fan out.

Here is everything apart.

Now we can install a new fan.
Thanks to actiftech over at the AK1 fourm here. He mentioned using a noctua NF-A4x10. I ordered, and then I realized that the link he wrote was to the 12 volt version. So I canceled. I then found and ordered the 5 volt version here.

Once it comes in doing things in reverse to get it in, and then adding some thermal compound where the pad was (I will be using this) should get us some cooler temps, and some quiet fan operation.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

WheatPasta

Re: Cooling/Fan Upgrade FAQ

Post by WheatPasta » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:53 pm

reserved just in case.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

hikeeba

Post by hikeeba » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:58 am

The fans are different heights. Stock is about 9.9mm and the Noctua is 11.9mm (on the corners). I wouldn't say that fit is "perfect" - the shroud does not fit correctly.
Also, the plugs of the fans are different, so the cables for both fans have to be cut.
When removing the fan the entire socket pulled off of the mainboard.
I wouldn't recommend anything about this.

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:17 am

hikeeba wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:58 am
I wouldn't recommend anything about this.
Thanks for mentioning. I had posted and talked with a user on an ACEPC AK1 site here.

He had mentioned it fit so that is what I was going off of. I have been trying to find an adapter, but like the AK1 post and you mention it looks like the Noctura fan does need to be cut.

Thus I have been looking around to hopefully find a lead that I can use that would fit the Replay, and then I could just hack away at the Noctura and pair it with the lead. Then plug it in and save the stock fan in case I need it.

Matt has mentioned he believes the fan connector is a 3-pin JST SH connector, 1mm spacing and that the center pin is not used. However Mike has mentioned he would talk with the manufacture. I am keeping an eye on SH connectors until I hear back from Mike to make total sure before I buy some leads.

Once I hear back for sure i'd like to at least buy some leads and give it a shot. While not a plug and play solution some users that are able to might want to give it a try to stop the fan noise that they don't like. With the fan and good thermal paste installed it will also be safer to run Dolphin over clocked to help get GameCube games running better.