Windows Tweaks:Stay Safe, and Squeeze Performance

The most commonly asked questions will appear here. This is a good place to check first if you need help.
WheatPasta
Loading…

Windows Tweaks:Stay Safe, and Squeeze Performance

Post by WheatPasta » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:51 pm

Some of this was covered in the quick first boot video I made, but I wanted to make a text version for people who didn't or don't want to watch the video. If you would rather or also watch the video you can find it here

I hope to go over some important tips, and little tricks to help you get the most out of your Replay. It's important to stay safe and game happy.

I can't log into my online Microsoft account
This seems to be a bug on Microsoft's side. For now create a local account to get through the initial set up. Once you get the Windows desktop you can modify the account.

How can I stay safe while using my Replay?(Or any PC?)
When you are doing your first boot be careful. At some point you will come to a screen that will ask if you want to make Cortana your personal assistant. I believe this turns on with privacy settings that will ask you things like location and diagnostic data. It is recommended that you turn all of these to the left for off or limited. The screen in question looks like this Image

If the Replay has rebooted, and you can not get to the desktop you will need a mouse and keyboard plugged in to the Replay. Click on the screen with the mouse to bring up the next screen with your user name. Enter your password to get back to your desktop

Once you get to your Windows desktop it is very important that the first thing you do is create a USB recovery drive. Windows says you need at least an 8GB USB drive. I would recommend no less then 16GB to make sure you have enough room to back up the Replay front end and extras. I also believe that using a 3.0 speed drive will help things move faster.

Mike has also mentioned that you might be able to use a Micro SD card to create one as well. If you do this make sure you use a Class 10 good name brand card (Samsung or Trencend are my go to) I would personally recommend a USB flash drive though as Micro SD cards tend to disappear on me. Flash drives might also be cheaper.

To start the process remove all your other connected media. Insert your USB drive into a blue USB port on the Replay, and open the Start Menu. Type Recovery, and you should see Create a Recovery Drive in the results. Click this and bring up the program. Your USB drive should be listed, but always make sure to double check that it has selected the right drive letter.

Once sure follow the onscreen instructions. Then wait as the Replay creates the drive. This may take a while, but it is important. Let it run, and then you will eventually see a finish button. Once this is done store the media you created in a safe location as this is the only way to restore your Replay at the moment.

After that is done you may want to check for updates. You can do this by going to Start>PC Settings>Updates. I believe there were two small ones when I checked after getting to my desktop. While you are there you can check Advanced options and make sure Give me updates to other Microsoft products is turned to Off. I believe it already was on my Replay, but it does not hurt to check.

What about every day desktop safety?
If you plan on using the Replay for more then retro gaming there are a few more steps you can take. First you may want to install an Anti Virus to give you a little more protection then Windows Defender. Different people prefer different programs. Read some reviews and decide what software fits you needs

What about browsing?
When it comes to surfing the web there are a few things you should do first. The Replay has Chrome installed out of the box. It is recommended that you make sure to update it first. In the URL bar type chrome://settings/help This should bring up the correct settings page, and Chrome will check automatically for updates.

While we are in settings you might want to click the three bars next to the word settings. Then click advanced, and then Privacy and security. Then go through the settings and change them as you see fit. It looks like Auto send to Google is turned off already, but it does not hurt to check. You may also want to go to Search Engines and change Google to something else if you prefer. If you are concerned about your privacy with Google you may want to try DuckDuckGo or StartPage.

What about other browsers?
If you are using Firefox you'll want to go to about:preferences in your URL bar. Privacy and security, and then turn Tracking Protection to always. Then Send websites a “Do Not Track” signal to Always. Lastly go down to Firefox Data collection, and uncheck the boxes. Like above you may also want to change your search engine.

Lastly when it comes to browsers you will want to install the Adblock add-on/extension for either Chrome or Firefox to help cut down on the ads that are shoved in your face. You might even consider an alternative browser such as Brave or Epic

After that like in the video you will want to go to Start, and then type Run and press enter. In the Run box type SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe Make sure that under the Visual Effects tab make sure that Adjust for best performance is checked. Then go to the Advanced tab and make sure that Programs is checked.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

Jibbz
Member Level 2
Member Level 2

Re: Windows Tweaks:Stay Safe, and Squeeze Performance

Post by Jibbz » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:11 pm

I used a verbatim store and go 2.0 usb thumb drive.
Took approximately 4 hours to create the recovery disk.
I would highly recommend using a 3.0 drive instead.

matt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by matt » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 pm

I would also like to point out that two of the USB ports are 2.0, and two are 3.0. So if you need the faster ports, then use the blue ones. They are the two closest to the power button.
It's dangerous to go alone! Take this. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuFVQ7HCQAAbgpz.jpg

WheatPasta
Loading…

Post by WheatPasta » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:41 pm

matt wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 pm
I would also like to point out that two of the USB ports are 2.0, and two are 3.0. So if you need the faster ports, then use the blue ones. They are the two closest to the power button.
Thought i mentioned that and seen I had missed it. Thanks for mentioning. I tend to get side tracked. I'll add in a bit
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

ShoothimNow

Post by ShoothimNow » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:06 pm

I'll be using Chrome + uBlock Origins (for the ad blocker). Adblock+ has sucked as of late.

matt737
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Post by matt737 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:00 am

is there a way to disable the need to enter a password for Windows when the replay boots up?

parrottm
Member Level 3
Member Level 3
Loading…

Post by parrottm » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:14 am

matt737 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:00 am
is there a way to disable the need to enter a password for Windows when the replay boots up?
I don't have my Replay to test this on, however I have used the steps in the below link on other Windows 10 systems successfully.
https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/skip-windo ... in-screen/

Note: if you create any network shares on the Replay, some systems will have issues connecting to them if Windows 10 has no password. Just be aware of this.

matt737
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Post by matt737 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:54 pm

parrottm wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:14 am
I don't have my Replay to test this on, however I have used the steps in the below link on other Windows 10 systems successfully.
https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/skip-windo ... in-screen/
That worked, thanks!

nicknack

Post by nicknack » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:49 pm

I’m running into trouble creating a recovery drive.

I select my USB drive (32gb usb 3.0), start the process, but it fails with “We can’t create the recovery drive.”

Running “reagentc /info” at the command prompt shows Windows RE status: Disabled (recovery environment is disabled)

Running “reagentc /enable” in the administrator command prompt gives Unable to update Boot Configuration Data.

Not sure what else to try. Any suggestions? Thanks.

WheatPasta
Loading…

Post by WheatPasta » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:35 pm

nicknack wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:49 pm
Not sure what else to try. Any suggestions? Thanks.
There seems to be an issue using Windows Recovery to make the drive. You could clone the drive, but then you will need a USB larger then 32GB because the entire drive is 32GB. You can also follow the video I made here on what folders to copy over to back up the front end. Then if something happens use the Windows Media Creation tool to reinstall Windows, and drag the backed up files back over.