PS4 controller goes crazy

If you have hardware related issues with your Replay unit then look here for answers. If you can't find your answer, then make a post and someone will help you out.
ninjapimp
Member Level 2
Member Level 2

PS4 controller goes crazy

Post by ninjapimp » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:34 pm

I pair my PS4 controller in win10 which detects fine.
but the moment i lauch replay app
a box appear which seems to be setting up my controller automatically and goes thru each button input, fails red says try again but before i can do anything it does it automatically. it goes into an endless loop, i cant stop it, nor do i try to start it, it just happens if it see my ps4 controller is on.
i have to shut down the replay...than make sure my controller if off before i turn the replay back on or else it goes into a crazy loop - it never finishes configuring the controller.

how to get past this?? or fix this??

WheatPasta

Re: PS4 controller goes crazy

Post by WheatPasta » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:36 pm

ninjapimp wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:34 pm
First in Windows go to C:/Updater then in that folder run the ArcadeUpdater.exe This will get you up to version 1.2 of the front end. This should fix some controller issues. Also PS4 controllers act weird in Windows because they do not use the Xinput format. One member mentions he uses a program called Input Mapper to resolve some PS4 controller issues they had. You can read more about it here
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

JJGXX

Post by JJGXX » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:33 pm

You could try to install DS4Windows (http://ds4windows.com) first to make sure the controller is recognized properly prior to configuring it inside the front end.

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:29 am

JJGXX wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:33 pm
You could try to install DS4Windows
I don't know who is who and what is what since I do not use it myself, but I did notice that on the info under the Input Mapper search result mentions that "Input Mapper is designed to bridge the gap between the devices you use and the games you play. Started in 2014 as DS4Tool and then DS4Windows," So it might be a more updated or better supported version. Perhaps if it was a team of people they split up and made their own version.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

ninjapimp
Member Level 2
Member Level 2

Post by ninjapimp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:23 pm

so getting the PS4 controller to work seems quite challenging for me, not as easy as i hoped it would be.

anothger thing i noticed, if i pair mt ps4 controller to windows, it wont work on my PS4>? so when i want to play on ps4 i have to reconnect the cord for it to detect and work, it seems its one or the other, i cant pair it both at same time..odd.

so can you recommend a good bluetooth controller? sorry dont suggest the one that came with the unit pls.

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:56 am

ninjapimp wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:23 pm
so can you recommend a good bluetooth controller
I mostly use wired ones myself. However if you are looking for something more retro inspired you will want to look at what 8BitDo offers. If you want something more modern I would maybe look into getting the Xbox One controller. Just make sure you get one that supports Bluetooth. You can check here to make sure you get one that supports Bluetooth.

scoobyroo

Post by scoobyroo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:41 pm

WheatPasta wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:36 pm
ninjapimp wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:34 pm
One member mentions he uses a program called Input Mapper to resolve some PS4 controller issues they had. You can read more about it here
That was me! :D

So yes, Input Mapper is a fork of DS4 (which doesn't see much support now), but both will do the same thing. My experience / thoughts:

The Ps4 controller issue you are seeing when configuring is because the joysticks on the PS4 controller demonstrate micro-movement. The config software detects this as a user input and starts blasting through the config process, seemingly with no input from you. To fix it, open Input Mapper and set the deadzone on your joystick nub(s) to about 2-5% (assume DS4 will allow similar). You won't notice it during play, and it should prevent the config/set-up issue. Ideally Dream Arcade would build some form of deadzone protection/adjustment into their front end - but I suspect that won't happen.

This will lead to another problem however. To emulate XInput Input Mapper (and I assume DS4) will install two joypad instances into Windows. One is the actual PS4 Joypad (which won't work in the Windows Joypad test tool) and one is the 'virtualised XInput controller Windows will recognise and will work perfectly (probably listed as an XBox 360 controller). The problem then comes because the Dreamcade software will recognise and list two controllers, even though you only have one plugged in. The real one (which doesn't work) will default to Joypad one (Player 1) and the virtualised one (which will work) will default to player 2. Then when you try playing single player games in most emulators, they won't recognise your joypad inputs as they are looking at the Player 1 joypad.

The obvious fix to this is to re-order the players in the Dreamcade interface. BUT... when you try to, it asks you to press a button on the joypad to define player one (you do so and it assigns you as Player 1) and then a button the define Player 2 (which you clearly can't, as you haven't actually got one plugged in!). The 're-order player feature then times out and re-sets the controllers (so you become Player 2 again). They (Dreamcade) could resolve this quite simply by allowing you to press 'esc', or otherwise cancel the process BUT leave the revised Player 1 selection - instead of going back to the default state.

Another way you should be able to resolve the 'virtualised' joypad (second instance) issue is to go into each emulator and rebind the controls (so Player 2's pad becomes player one). But in my experience there isn't an obvious way into the individual emulators UI's to do so (SNES), or you make the changes but they don't save (MAME)... meaning you would have to do this every time you reopen the emulator.

Essentially, as it stands, this product simply isn't ready for the mainstream. I love Dream Arcade and i admire what they've tried to do, but their software/UI is incomplete, buggy and basically a complete let down.

I own a 4-player stand up cabinet from Dream Arcade - which I love (had imported from the States to the UK for my office). I also backed the Replay and purchased three units - one for me and two for friends Christmas gifts. However as it currently stands, I've mothballed my Replay until the software is in a fit state for use (which I do hope will happen) because it was just driving me crazy. I have an i7 based PC with 32Gb or Ram and two Titan X's (Maxwell, alas) that would eat emulation alive... however I just got fed-up of all the config and set-up hassle needed to run these various emulators, hence when I saw Dream Arcade were kickstarting the Replay, had really hoped tit would be the simple plug and play answer (all be it, a lot less powerful - but that's cool). At the moment, it simply isn't anywhere near... very disappointing (though all respect to the coders who've got it where it is).

As it is, I would never feel comfortable gifting these to other 'less-experienced' friends for Christmas in their current state (not that i'm a PC genius, I can assure you lol), so all three will remained mothballed in the hope that Dream Arcade can pull it out of the bag on the software / UI side.

Good luck peeps... I'll be watching the forums with anticipation :)

ninjapimp
Member Level 2
Member Level 2

Post by ninjapimp » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:56 pm

yeah this is why i bought the replay because the advertised it as being easy setup, that any controller would work very easily, that it would all be super sweet and easy.

yet i spent hours trying to make the PS4 controller work....i've given up in sheer frustration.
when i get more patience i'll try to make my Saitek Controller work for it, its corded but might work easier.

my other gripe, is the find games feature which launches a browser and uses google to search for roms....really??
thats a huge let down that i gota search and download roms from unknown sites.
i was hoping for a dedicated site or server it could connect to, to download and plug the games into proper folder so replay can play them.

so right now i'm trying to figure out how to copy games from my retro pie which i bought on ebay and came loaded with 60,000 games..no joke. like every single game for every console...except ps1 or that like. point is, it came loaded.
i've placed games into the rom folder but the the replay feature to find or import these games fails. i get it, its buggy and needs tweaking...i expected this on a retro pie as it required fiddling to make things work and there was a learning curve.

so i have to assume there will be a learning curve with replay but it seems its broke, if certain features are needed and fail than i'm at a loss. on the retro pie, nothing really failed because i was able to go to the retro pie forums and quickly research what i had to do and than it would work. so retro pie did not have broken things like replay has,.

so i'm hoping with time, the people are dreamcade can update and improve replay with updates to fix things. its just out of the box - can't play games period...but with retro pie, once i mapped my ps4 controller...i was playing games that same day.

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:25 am

ninjapimp wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:56 pm
----
yet i spent hours trying to make the PS4 controller work
The PS4 controller isn't so much a Replay issue as much as a Windows issue. It has poor native support in Windows. If you look you have to enable extra support in Steam big picture mode, or use something like Input Mapper. It works better in Retro Pie because Retro Pie is Linux OS based, and there might be better Linux support for the PS4 controller since Linux is completely open source, and a lot of people work on it. Thousands of people have access to change the OS and make it better for everyone I believe there is even PS4 driver support download-able in the Retro Pie set up script.

my other gripe, is the find games feature which launches a browser and uses google to search for roms....really??
If you use the RetroReload and search for a game after you click the game name it loads a link. If you click the link it downloads the rom. It's actually a rather well known and safe site that they are coming from.

so right now i'm trying to figure out how to copy games from my retro pie which i bought on ebay and came loaded with 60,000 games..no joke. like every single game for every console...except ps1 or that like.
I hope you are able to get your games copied over and sorted out. However a card sold set up with roms or a hardware bundle included with a fully loaded card is technically illegal. People on the RetroPie community actually point these sellers out.

i've placed games into the rom folder but the the replay feature to find or import these games fails.
Once you place a rom in C:\roms\(system name) it should show up when you restart the front end.

ninjapimp
Member Level 2
Member Level 2

Post by ninjapimp » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:08 am

all valid counter point wheat.
i'll give up on ps4 and just try another controller so this might all be a moot point.

i'll give that link a try again but i think it might be a moot point once i can get my games from retro pie to detect inside replay.

as for illegal games. no one cares. you like at sellers reputation and reviews on ebay and if positive you can buy a mini SD filled with every console game you can think of.

to me personally thats now public domain, as long as i'm not trying to sell the game to make profit myself, than i dont care. i'm paying for someone who spent the crazy amount of hours collecting them, sorting, testing and packing it so as to make it easy and convienent which is what a customer appreciates at end of the day. no one wants to spend hours doing what you suggest, which is search, click on link, download it, and hope it installs and plays vs insert sd card..done.