Bootable hard drive?

If you have hardware related issues with your Replay unit then look here for answers. If you can't find your answer, then make a post and someone will help you out.
enderandrew
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Bootable hard drive?

Post by enderandrew » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:53 pm

The 32 GB on board storage doesn't have enough room for an updated build of Windows. I want to clone the onboard flash storage to an external hard drive and boot from that (and/or test booting to Linux).

If I plug an external hard drive into the USB ports, can I boot from that, or do I have to have the HDD plugged into the mSATA port? I didn't purchase the hard drive bay enclosure add on. If I need to plug into the mSATA port, has anyone used any cables that convert from the USB C connector coming out of the Replay into mSATA?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I bought a standard external HDD, and cloned the storage, but it won't boot as I suspected it wouldn't.

If you didn't get the special hard drive enclosure in the Kickstarter (which may not be offered again) you're somewhat screwed.

I may have to look for a special adapter to plug into the USB-C port at the bottom. But will a normal USB-C cable work since internally it is really a mSATA connection?
Last edited by WheatPasta on Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post

WheatPasta

Re: Bootable hard drive?

Post by WheatPasta » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:50 am

enderandrew wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:53 pm
The 32 GB on board storage doesn't have enough room for an updated build of Windows.
I don't know about doing it with the cloned copy of the drive, but for Linux you should be able to plug the drive in, run a live USB, and then go through the installer.

During the install process make sure you select the plugged in drive from the top right during the partition and install. Then after the install is finished you should be able to boot to the BIOS. (I can't recall if it is F1, F12 or Del) You should be able to then change the boot order.

I don't believe a USB C will work. While it is still out of stock you can check back again at this listing to see if hard drive bays come back in stock
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

enderandrew
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Post by enderandrew » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:07 pm

Cloning to a USB drive doesn't work for Windows. It won't boot from it sadly. I did try an external hard drive enclosure with a USB C connector into the port in the bottom, and neither BIOS nor Windows sees the drive plugged in. It isn't a standard USB C connection it seems, but rather that odd SATA connector in the shape of a USB C. So if you didn't get the hard drive enclosure, you're screwed.

You won't be able to install the new builds of Windows that come out every six months.
==================================================================
I confirmed that while Windows 10 will allow you to boot the install media from USB, you can't boot the actual from USB, nor will the installer install to an external hard drive.

The hard drive adapter/base is still out of stock.

I'm curious if you can boot to the MicroSD. If I buy a large MicroSD card, can I clone the Windows install to that and boot from that?

Has anyone tried that?

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MicroSD- ... B06XWZWYVP
Last edited by WheatPasta on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:56 pm

enderandrew wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:07 pm
I'm curious if you can boot to the MicroSD.
I just tried to install and boot Ubuntu MATE. It looks like I was able to create and boot off of a USB drive. Then it seemed to be able to install to a 32GB Micro SD card. However once installed I could not seem to boot off the card. It does not even show up in the BIOS, but it showed up on the Ubuntu partition section during the install fine.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

parrottm
Member Level 3
Member Level 3

Post by parrottm » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:05 pm

Yeah, I'm also not having any luck booting from an external device or SD card. Although I haven't given up finding some combination that works, I am beginning to suspect it is a bios limitation. I don't know if this is something DreamCade could ask the manufacturer, but it would be nice to know for sure one way or another.

enderandrew
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Post by enderandrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Linux will boot from MicroSD or external HDD with no problem. Windows 10 Home will not.

Windows 10 Enterprise edition does support creating a "Windows To Go" workspace where you can boot from an external HDD, but the Dreamcade Replay does not have a Windows 10 Enterprise license.

So it seems the options are to run Linux (and I might do that though I currently have everything configured and working for Windows currently) or to get the HDD base adapter that allows you to use the weird USB C/mSATA connector on the bottom.

I did try a USB C cable external HDD, and that didn't work because it wasn't really a mSATA connector.

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:05 pm

enderandrew wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:38 pm
Linux will boot from MicroSD or external HDD with no problem.
Perhaps i goofed something during the install then, but the Replay does not see the Micro SD card as a boot device. I just assumed that the BIOS did not support Micro SD card booting.

It also took quite awhile to install to the Micro SD card, and I was using a class 10 32GB Sandisk card.

enderandrew
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Post by enderandrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:08 pm

I know in general on other devices Linux can boot from MicroSD and it looks like in BIOS on the Dreamcade replay that you should be able to boot to MicroSD.

I haven't tried it specifically on the Dreamcade Replay.

I can give that a try however.