Less Popular and Obscure systems

If you have any trouble getting emulators to run properly then check here for help.
matt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Less Popular and Obscure systems

Post by matt » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:49 pm

WheatPasta wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:16 pm
I have also been trying to get both Fairchild Channel F and Bally Astrocade working. (MAME is the only emulator for both) I made sure to re-download the extras. I then tried from the front end as well as through LaunchBox using RetroArch. I tried the MAME and MESS cores in RetroArch. I tried unzipping both the BIOS and games with no luck. I then tried leaving them zipped.
I have had both working before with prototype systems, so there must be a config missing or some setting is wrong. Bally was odd because of the large numpad-like interface, so you end up needing a keyboard for that. They were both at least functional though. I will add this to my list of things to check out.
It's dangerous to go alone! Take this. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuFVQ7HCQAAbgpz.jpg

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:34 pm

matt wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:49 pm
I have had both working before with prototype systems, so there must be a config missing or some setting is wrong.
With the Astrocade and a full MAME set. I also made sure I grabbed the Astrocade games on their own, and I made sure the file names matched the ones listed in MAME.

I was able to get it to load up as Empty or No Cart, and I guess there are like four built in games to play, but other then that no luck.This happens on anything I try it on. The Replay, my gaming PC, and Android devices.

Fairchild I couldn't get anything going in MAME at all. Just a black screen pop.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

matt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by matt » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:42 pm

I just checked both on a Replay here, stock image, then updated to 1.21, using a Replay controller-

ChannelF - I downloaded Space War using the add games tool. It worked, but you need a keyboard to start the game (keys 1-4). But that could be mapped manually to another button on the controller from inside MAME.

Astrocade - I downloaded War and ran that. Same as above, it worked but I had to use a keyboard to select the modes. And the original controller is like a spinner, so using an analog joystick is really hard.

Try running each of those same games on your system and let me know.
It's dangerous to go alone! Take this. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuFVQ7HCQAAbgpz.jpg

Torgo
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Post by Torgo » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:50 am

I have full sets for Coleco, intellivision, Odyssey 2, Fairchild, Amiga etc... None of them will load. They all show up in the menu except for the Amiga files. Wen downloading them from the Dreamcade game search, they work fine. Ziped or unziped, .bin, .int, .col or .rom nothing..... Any help would be great.

Thanks..

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:41 am

Torgo wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:50 am
Any help would be great.
The stock front end is using MAME to play, and MAME looks for certain file types to be named certain ways for the games to work correctly. As an example for Burger Time on the Coleco to work with the front end MAME is looking for btime.zip with btime.1 and btime.2 inside.

You will either need to grab your roms in question through the Retro Reload (To get the correct ones MAME look for), Use a different emulator outside the front end like RetroArch/LaunchBox to play the files from your romsets, or home that someone takes the time to swap out MAME for Colem in the front end. Mireille2015 might be able to write up how to swap over to Colem in the front end.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

Mireille2015

Post by Mireille2015 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:44 am

I'll have a look see!!
"There is no Replay! Only Zuul!"