Replay Concerns

Share your super awesome amazing ideas here!
jmichael79
Loading…

Re: Replay Concerns

Post by jmichael79 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:07 pm

Pickle wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:29 pm
The NES uses MAME and it runs the roms I tried poorly. My Mario 2 ran too fast, so I downloaded from the archive, the color was extremely washed out and there was screen tearing and a lot of flickering sprites that would disappear . I tried contra, same exact thing. Mame also will not save my input scheme no matter what I try.I also couldn't access too many options in MAME, like a fullscreen. might be there but I couldn't find it.
That's a disappointing reality. Can we easily switch the default NES emulator from with in the Dreamcade settings to one of the other RetroArch cores or do we have to out into Windows and muck about there?

WheatPasta
Loading…

Post by WheatPasta » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:45 pm

jmichael79 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:07 pm
Can we easily switch the default NES emulator from with in the Dreamcade settings to one of the other RetroArch cores or do we have to out into Windows and muck about there?
The Replay does not ship with Retro Arch. You would have to download it, or download a stand alone NES emulator. Then modify the config files to tell the front end to use the emulator you downloaded to play the NES games.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

Pickle
Member Level 3
Member Level 3

Post by Pickle » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:47 pm

jmichael79 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:07 pm
Pickle wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:29 pm
The NES uses MAME and it runs the roms I tried poorly. My Mario 2 ran too fast, so I downloaded from the archive, the color was extremely washed out and there was screen tearing and a lot of flickering sprites that would disappear . I tried contra, same exact thing. Mame also will not save my input scheme no matter what I try.I also couldn't access too many options in MAME, like a fullscreen. might be there but I couldn't find it.
That's a disappointing reality. Can we easily switch the default NES emulator from with in the Dreamcade settings to one of the other RetroArch cores or do we have to out into Windows and muck about there?
Its supossedly possible, but from what I hear, near impossible to figure out. In settings there is an "emulation wizard". If this option is ironed out that would make things a lot nicer. I'm hoping they figure that out.

lightningdude

Re: Sega Based Systems

Post by lightningdude » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:55 pm

Choaf wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:45 pm
Your company to me has not made good on any of the kickstarter promises except for actually delivering something. the case is not what was promised the pre installed games not as promised. the funtionality not as promised. Are you proud of the system as of today?
The promised case and pre-installed games issue is completely due to the fact that Atari decided not to work with Dreamcades at the last minute. Atari decided they wanted to put out their own retro system instead, and it doesn't look very good. At the suggestion of their legal team, Dreamcades changed the case design so that Atari couldn't accuse them of anything.

Now, I haven't received my Replay yet, so I can't speak to all of your issues. I'm coming from the Raspberry Pi 3, so I'm going to have the advantage of experience when it comes to setting this up my way. I've seen comparisons to Xbox and PS4 in terms of setting up this "console." Knowing that this is a mini PC and knowing how emulation works, I'm expecting extra set up. Personally, I do like doing extra setup to make things exactly how I want them. I do it for PCs, Android phones, and even game consoles. Perhaps there should have been a disclaimer about needing to do some research on emulation first?

To echo Steve's point from a few posts back, even with huge production teams, Day One patches are still a thing. There are issues that arise with each update, and that's with full bug-testing crews backing them. The issues that affect big companies are going to be magnified when they hit smaller companies, in part because they may not have the same level of experience or education, but mostly because even if they have the best guy in the industry, they don't have the manpower to throw at problems. One stellar programmer is going to fall behind a team of average programmers, as far as timescales are concerned, even if their work is of inferior quality.

The problem of having a smaller group of workers to rely on adversely affects communication as well, in that the people addressing the consumers are typically pulling double and even triple-duty when it comes to other demands within the company. "They should just hire more people," I hear someone thinking. Hiring more people will increase the price of the unit, decreasing the likelihood that people will jump on board for a product by a little-known company without brand recognition or reputation.

Mireille2015

Post by Mireille2015 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:49 am

First off, yes WheatPasta is awesome and quick to reply and help you any way he can or get the answer to resolve your issues. Secondly, Ive been bouncing ideas with WheatPasta behind the scenes.

All the complaints about each emulator not playing right, screen tearing or controller not set up correctly. You guys are right. I've dugged deep in the software and found conflicting cfg files want to over ride another. Example, if you want to play Killer Instinct on the "Arcade", for me all buttons work except Dpad. Easy fix is configure in mame settings during game play. But..... Once you exit the game and go back to play. Settings will go back to the original. I have found a way to correct this. But it does require more tinkering with the cfg file. I dont want to rely on a keyboard to exit a game. I prefer controller only.

Secondly, I managed to get the adding emulator wizard to work for me. This requires some serious changes to each string to make the cfg file work. The adding emulator wizard has issues. Sorry Dreamcade. It does. I'll post my original file and modified file tomorrow.

The Replay is a steal on the price. But I get it, where you want a system that works straight from the box. So do I. But I can easily manage around this. I know there is more updates coming soon, so yay!! Happy Fourth to some folks!!!
Be sure to visit WheatPasta and me on Discord. Where we can respond quicker and get you resolved on your issue quickly!

Davidb69
Member Level 2
Member Level 2

Post by Davidb69 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:37 am

I don’t get the complaints for the most part and I’m trying to keep an open mind until I get mine. I’ve been so being patient buts it’s driving me nuts. If someone is going crazy on the original box look to what it looks like now seems silly to me. I’m anxiously awaiting to hear my dreamcade replay has shipped. Until then I’d be cautious not to overreact to some other posts that are negative and form your own opinion and thoughts to you have the console yourself. To me I know I might have to make some custom adjustments like I had todo with retro pie. It’s perfectly fine.

Choaf
Member Level 4
Member Level 4

Post by Choaf » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Davidb69 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:37 am
I don’t get the complaints for the most part and I’m trying to keep an open mind until I get mine. I’ve been so being patient buts it’s driving me nuts. If someone is going crazy on the original box look to what it looks like now seems silly to me. I’m anxiously awaiting to hear my dreamcade replay has shipped. Until then I’d be cautious not to overreact to some other posts that are negative and form your own opinion and thoughts to you have the console yourself. To me I know I might have to make some custom adjustments like I had todo with retro pie. It’s perfectly fine.
Its not just original look I understand that but all there advertisement on the kickstarter shows that says we will get built in games that we arent getting says it will work out of the box which it does not. All of these combined is my issue. If you buy a product from anywhere else and the packaging shows one thing and you get another you would have your doubts.

I for one am HAPPY for those that enjoy tinkering with this thing and everything But, this is not why i backed this I wanted simplicity that the kickstarter promised. Also someone mentioned the Raspberry Pi I have one of those too and I dont mind messing with that since it cost a what 35 bucks I paid 100+ on promises of convenience I didnt get that so its 100 bucks I over paid.

Also this companies communication to its backers and the forum is garbage no excuse that we cant get an update every day or at least every other day. We have to complain and beg for communication and when we get it, its vague timeline which is fine we just want something and we aren't even seeing this. And no this isn't entitlement this is a case of bait and switch and them being over their heads.
In god we trust, all others must pay cash.

WheatPasta
Loading…

Re: Sega Based Systems

Post by WheatPasta » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:41 pm

lightningdude wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:55 pm
I'm coming from the Raspberry Pi 3, so I'm going to have the advantage of experience when it comes to setting this up my way. Knowing that this is a mini PC and knowing how emulation works, I'm expecting extra set up.

Personally, I do like doing extra setup to make things exactly how I want them. I do it for PCs, Android phones, and even game consoles. Perhaps there should have been a disclaimer about needing to do some research on emulation first?
I'm really glad to hear this. I hope you get your Replay soon as I am sure you will be a great asset to the community.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

Steve
Staff
Staff

Post by Steve » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:43 pm

I feel the problem here is that each individual seems to have their own expectation. Some people want every game to work on this (including brand new games), others want only retro, and others want obscure games that only a handful of others even know about. The point of the replay was to make a console that could fit the needs of whoever wanted to use it. Now originally it did have a cool case with internals that would run "most" N64 games with a bit of lag. It changed from that and as you may have heard due to the limitations on the Kickstarter once you start and finish a project it doesn't allow you to change core things like the pictures or pretty much anything beyond updates and comments.

In terms of what you were expecting Choaf I'm not sure what specifically you wanted to play that wasn't preinstalled. To many, this console will give access to thousands of games they didn't know they could still play. Sure, there may be some issues and they may have to look up a guide from WheatPasta to get it to work just so. I think in a lot of ways that is to be expected with a console that isn't a brand name.

In terms of communication, we do not specifically have a team dedicated to replying constantly. I'm probably the closest thing to that and believe me I wish I could do more. Some things are not my call to make or the question is above what I can answer. In that case, Matt or even Trevyn steps in but that does take away an engineer from doing what they do. Not to say they won't but one can only do so many things at one time.

Currently, you have been putting a lot of energy into constructive criticism. If you specifically want the Replay to be something beyond what it currently is let us know specifically. Make a post of what you would like to see the Replay be beyond "it doesn't do what I expected it to do". That helps a lot more than its broken/bad, it should have been better.

Beyond that, I hope we are able to stay civil and open here. We are doing all we can to make things better from our end.
I'm Lank from California!

WheatPasta
Loading…

Post by WheatPasta » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:27 pm

Steve wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:43 pm
Beyond that, I hope we are able to stay civil and open here. We are doing all we can to make things better from our end.
I can't help but echo this. Maybe it is my more advanced experience talking, but other then hoping to see some type of front end package installer i'm pretty happy overall. If I wasn't I don't think I would be here in the capacity that I am.