Image backup options

The most commonly asked questions will appear here. This is a good place to check first if you need help.
parrottm
Member Level 3
Member Level 3
Loading…

Image backup options

Post by parrottm » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:46 am

I have finally found at least two options for making full image backups of the original C: drive on the Replay. I am sure there are more, but I only tested software I am familiar with.

I tested the following:
[Worked]
1. Terabyte Unlimited Image for Windows (Paid option, approximately $40 USD), https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm
2. Macrium Reflect Free, https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
[Had Issues]
3. Easeus TODO Free, https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html
4. Paragon Backup & Recovery 14 Free Edition, https://www.paragon-software.com/free/br-free/

Image for Windows
I will start this by saying I own Image for Windows. I have used it for many years and it has saved my bacon more times than I can remember. It has become a bit more user friendly over the years, but it can still be overwhelming because of all the options available if you delve into the options. This isn't required, however. The defaults seem to work fine for the Replay.

Macrium Reflect Free
The biggest difference in this program than the others is the overall size of the downloads and installation files. Macrium downloads a very large image before it will install. The download file from the web site above is one of those installer installers. I hate when vendors do this, but at least you know what to expect. The total download was nearly 900MB.

I used defaults for my testing and the Macrium defaults created a backup image size that was nearly a factor of 10 larger than the Image for Windows image. This isn't a big concern because you can change the compression settings in both programs to create a nice tradeoff between backup time and resulting image size. One plus to this free software is it allows you to verify the created image while also allowing you to create a scheduled backup job. Always use the verify option in whatever backup software you use. You will be thankful at some point for doing so. Note: Image for Windows also does these things, plus a lot more.

Easeus TODO Free
For whatever reason, I could not get this to install on the Replay. I tried a couple of different versions. I suspect I could have eventually found a version of this that worked. This failure isn't that much of an anomaly as backup software often hooks itself deep into an OS.

Paragon Backup & Recovery 14 Free Edition
This one installed, but would not run afterwards. To be fair, this version is in Beta, so hopefully this error will eventually be fixed.

Summary:
I don't think you can go wrong with either Image for Windows, or Reflect Free. They both work great. If you have a number of computers that need backups, consider Image for Windows comes with a five computer license for the price stated above.

If anyone has any questions, or issues with any product mentioned here, feel free to replay in the thread, or take it to a PM
Last edited by parrottm on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mireille2015

Re: Image backup options

Post by Mireille2015 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:42 am

Its awesome work. Appreciate all the hard work you have done and gather information.

I know I survived a few viruses already. Having a back up image would great to have!
"There is no Replay! Only Zuul!"

jsawhite
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Re: Image backup options

Post by jsawhite » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:28 am

I did the Macrium Reflect image route (still have image on a key drive). Took an image before I ever even went through the initial setup (OOBE). One caveat, at least from that far back, you can only activate the software (with your key on the bottom) a few times. After that it gives you an error rendering the Dreamcade software useless. Speaking from experience. I couldn't go back to the Dreamcade front end again if I wanted to... I posted about it, but it went unanswered, so I'm just SOL... *shrug*

So all in all, I'd say make sure you do the initial setup, activate the software, then take the image (maybe do the first round of updates). Limit what changes you make in case you learn later that it was a mistake...