Reinstall from scratch? Or move Replay install to 2nd drive?

If you have issues with the Dreamcade Menu front end look here. If you can't find your answer, then make a post and someone will help you out.
PsychoPanda
Loading…

Reinstall from scratch? Or move Replay install to 2nd drive?

Post by PsychoPanda » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:33 am

Is there a way to reinstall from scratch. My C: drive looks close to full. Or, can I uninstall the replay front-end and install it on D: drive? I have installed a 2nd drive, 1TB HD.

WheatPasta

Re: Reinstall from scratch? Or move Replay install to 2nd drive?

Post by WheatPasta » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:55 am

PsychoPanda wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:33 am
Is there a way to reinstall from scratch.
At the moment not that I know of. You can try copying most of the folders from the C drive except for Program Files, Users, and Windows to the D drive in a folder. Then try launching it. It might act up though if it is set to look for things in the C drive.

Regardless if you are going to keep the front end it is a good idea to have these folders backed up. Then if you need to reinstall Windows you can use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

PsychoPanda
Loading…

Post by PsychoPanda » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Ok... maybe I can delete all the extras and the few games I downloaded.. and then copy/move it over. I stuck in an old 1TB laptop drive I had in the extra drive attachment. I already set it to download it to my D: drive. Is there a Dreamcade replay install you have seen anywhere? If not... I will make sure not to uninstall it (as is my gut instinct). I heard people are putting in M2. SSD's... how are they installing? I guess we need an eMMC reader in order to clone?

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:18 am

PsychoPanda wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:59 pm
I heard people are putting in M2. SSD's... how are they installing? I guess we need an eMMC reader in order to clone?
Some people like myself are using a different from end. The Replay supports mSATA (Was originally going to be M.2) Then using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create a Windows install USB, and using that to install Windows an the mSATA. Once installed they set up something like LaunchBox and RetroArch,

The people who want to keep the front end are using Windows software to clone the EMMC drive. I am not sure how to do the software clone process myself, but parrottm is pretty good with it. I'll ping him so he gets a note to stop in and respond.
parrottm wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:31 am
I would personally go the LaunchBox/RetroArch for now, but every user is different. If you are interested in looking into it I have made a few videos on how to set things up on my YouTube channel here
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

parrottm
Member Level 3
Member Level 3

Post by parrottm » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:37 am

Hi, call me the clone master! Ha!

I am still working on my screen captures and documentation which goes over how to clone the internal drive to whatever you have installed in the hard drive adapter. As far as I know, you must have a drive in the optional hard drive adapter if you want to boot from anything other than the internal drive. I have tried booting from external devices, and so far no luck.

Having said that, I have pretty much convinced myself going the clone route is probably something that really isn't necessary. Please comment after you read the following.

I initially planned to clone the internal 32GB SSD onto something larger, then boot from the new drive. Even though I have this working, one thing that has caused me to reconsider is the state of backup software available for Windows 10. Some software that I have used for years still has random issues under Windows 10. This isn't something you want to mess with if you are looking for a bulletproof procedure. Part of the issue is the Replay hardware, but I don't blame anyone for this. It is just the nature of having so many combinations of hardware that some software utilities just don't work without a patch, a workaround, etc. I have worked in IT since 1979 and have seen major issues with data center servers from the big computer players. I never knew when my corporate backup software would fall down and go boom when I installed new server hardware. You just live with it and have contingencies in place.

Many of the free clone solutions I have tested and hoped to document are ones with the issues referenced above. These same utilities work fine on my other Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 machines, however, I will not even mention them here because I don't want someone to rush out and shoot themselves in the foot with them. Again, backup and disk cloning isn't something to take a chance on. You want something to work each and every time on a system that you try it on. So far, I only have one package that has worked every time, under a number of torture tests I have put it through during my backup/restore and cloning tests on the Replay. This package isn't free. It costs close to $40 USD for a five-seat personal license. I don't mind paying for something that works, but others want great AND free. I'm still looking, but again, I no longer see the need, so...

Finally, why not clone? My answer is actually pretty simple. The internal drive can't be swapped out, so you are stuck with it in the system. Why not use it to boot from? It may not be the fastest solid state device on the planet, but it still boots faster than a platter based drive. Something I have verified during testing. So, my final day to day Replay configuration will be to boot from the internal, but everything other than Windows will go on a drive in the optional drive bay. Now that I know what I know, the optional bay isn't really necessary. I could do the same with an external USB 3.0 drive and be perfectly happy.

Discussion and questions are welcome. I love nothing more than a spirited hardware debate! :)