N64 controller issues

If you have problems with connecting or configuring controllers with your replay device look here. If you can't find your answer, then make a post and someone will help you out.
Lauracario
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

N64 controller issues

Post by Lauracario » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:43 am

Hi everyone,

So I've been having an issue trying to play N64 games. The roms load but I can't play because the start button isn't recognized. I tried reconfiguring through the replay and no luck. After reading a post on sound issues, I looked at the configuration on Project 64 and there was the issue. I reconfigured it thinking I'd be fine but still no luck. When I go back to the configurations to see if I made a mistake, it goes back to the default configuration. I've saved the change, saved the profile, loaded the profile and still the same issue. However when make the changes and I open the rom through the emulator, it works. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong. I have an 8 Bitdo NES 30 Pro controller. Thanks everyone!

Lauracario
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Re: N64 controller issues

Post by Lauracario » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:35 pm

Hi everyone,

Im still stuck on this issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Rudy

Mireille2015

Post by Mireille2015 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:18 pm

I think the issue is how the 8bitdo Pro cfg file might be the issue. I dont have the controller to test some theories.

Have you had a chance to update your controller's firmware?

if you go to C:\menu\users\_da\controllers\configs

Try removing one of the 8bitDo or 8bitDo-4 cfgs. Dont delete them, just put them on desk top for safe keeping. And test to see if one of those files is the culprit.

And run the front end. And see how your controller reacts.
"There is no Replay! Only Zuul!"

Lauracario
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Post by Lauracario » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:57 pm

Mireille2015 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:18 pm
I think the issue is how the 8bitdo Pro cfg file might be the issue. I dont have the controller to test some theories.

Have you had a chance to update your controller's firmware?

if you go to C:\menu\users\_da\controllers\configs

Try removing one of the 8bitDo or 8bitDo-4 cfgs. Dont delete them, just put them on desk top for safe keeping. And test to see if one of those files is the culprit.

And run the front end. And see how your controller reacts.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give them a shot! By any chance will removing the file affect the way the other emulators work? I've had no issues with the other systems so far.

Pillows

Post by Pillows » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:37 am

Any luck with this? I am having the same issue with any n64 controller i use.

WheatPasta
Loading…

Post by WheatPasta » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:21 pm

Pillows wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:37 am
I am having the same issue with any n64 controller i use.
I believe it was mentioned that there is a bug causing mapping issues with the 8BitDo controllers, but I can not recall exactly.

On the stock front end If you are using a wired USB N64 controller you can go to C:\emulators\n64 and run the project 64 exe. Once it comes up click options, and then click controller plug in. On this screen make sure Plugged is checked and Xinput is unchecked. Now go through and click each box. Bind a button to each box, and then click save profile. Now load up a game by going to File>Open rom. If everything works load it through the front end and double check.

If using LaunchBox/RetroArch open RetroArch, go to Load Core, and load a N64 core. Next scroll over to the cog wheel, down to input, input user one binds, and then go through and bind your buttons. Retro Arch shows all the buttons of a more traditional controller. Thus I have not sucessfully bound the button set for N64 myself, but I would imagine it can be done through some trial and error. I keep meaning to ask around to see if someone happens to know what to bind.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.