Controller FAQ

If you have problems with connecting or configuring controllers with your replay device look here. If you can't find your answer, then make a post and someone will help you out.
WheatPasta

Controller FAQ

Post by WheatPasta » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:15 pm

I wanted to take some time to try and help knock out some controller issues other users are having. I’ll break it down into two posts here. First a general FAQ.

What are my controller connectivity choices?
The Replay supports Bluetooth, wired over USB, and 2.4Ghz over USB dongle.

What controllers are part of the Replay stock package?
If you ordered one controller you will get a black controller that looks a little like a PS3 controller in D Pad and stick placement. If you ordered more then once you can choose between more black controllers, or an 8BitDo NES 30 Pro. The 8BitDo controllers use Bluetooth.

My stock Replay controller is not recognized.
First make sure it is charged, then make sure the dongle is plugged in. The controller will not work without it. Ther things to try would be pressing the Replay button twice to get it to pair, trying the dongle in another USB port, or putting the controller might next to the replay for the initial pairing and/or button configuration.

My 8BitDo is not recognized
First make sure it is charged. Then make sure that Bluetooth is turned on in Windows on the Replay. Once it is on you will need to put the 8BitDo into PC pairing mode. To do this first press and hold POWER + X for 1 second to power on the controller, LEDs will blink twice per cycle, and then press and hold PAIR for 3 seconds to enter pairing mode. Blue LEDs will rapidly blink.

Once in this mode go to your system tray, right click on the Bluetooth icon, and then select add a new device. In this new menu select add, click Bluetooth, and then the controller should show up in the list after a moment

My PS4 controller won’t work.
While the PS4 connects through Bluetooth I believe it uses D Input to communicate with devices. Windows is more accustomed to using X Input for controllers. Because of this you may have to install an application called Input Mapper to get the controller to behave correctly with Windows.

My PS3 controller won’t work.
I believe the same as above applies to PS3. However the application you will want to use here is called SCP DS3

My Xbox 360/One Controller won’t work.
Only newer Xbox One controllers are Bluetooth and will work. Older Xbox One, and all wireless Xbox 360 controllers use a proprietary wireless technology to connect to the Xbox. You will need this if you have an older Xbox One Controller, this if you want to use a 360 controller, and you can look at this page near the middle to see what controller uses Bluetooth before you buy. Wired Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers should work fine.

What about Nintendo controllers?
8BitDo makes Bluetooth NES,SNES, and N64 controllers. For GameCube you will need an adapter like this. For Wii Classic, or NES/SNES Mini controllers you will need this adapter. I believe the Switch Pro controller uses Bluetooth, but requires drivers. I have read that Steam has recently added support for it.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

WheatPasta

Re: Controller FAQ

Post by WheatPasta » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:10 pm

What about Light Guns?
There are two ways to go about this. The more expensive way is to get an AimTrak gun. (here) The cheaper way is to pair a Wiimote with a gun shell and a USB bar ETA Prime recently did a video that you can check out here

My controller will not map correctly
First try exiting the Virtual Mouse application in the system tray. It might be causing issues. If you are using a wireless controller and still having problem try placing it as close to the Replay as possible to configure the buttons. Then move away after you finish.

I messed up a binding and need to start over.
Try going to C:\mame\cfg2p and delete all, except default. Then remap your controller.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.