Hard drive add on accessory

All the megabytes you can eat! Discuss anything related to hardware right here. Got a cool gaming rig you want to show off? Is green better than red? How's that case mod coming along?
mviars
Member Level 1
Member Level 1
Loading…

Hard drive add on accessory

Post by mviars » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:50 pm

Has anyone seen the hard drive add on base for the replay on sale anywhere. Amazing always shows currently unavailable.

Mireille2015

Re: Hard drive add on accessory

Post by Mireille2015 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:22 am

Unfortunately, it's a hard item to find separately.
"There is no Replay! Only Zuul!"

mviars
Member Level 1
Member Level 1
Loading…

Post by mviars » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Dang that stinks. I knew I should have just order it with one.

mviars
Member Level 1
Member Level 1
Loading…

Post by mviars » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:40 pm

Is there a free spot/connector inside the main console that a harddive can be added to? One that is not being used that is.

Mireille2015

Post by Mireille2015 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:37 pm

Depending how you configured yours during purchase. You should have an open mSATA ssd port, inside the Replay unit.

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 pm

mviars wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:40 pm
Is there a free spot/connector inside the main console
Like Mireille mentions if you open your Replay you will have a slot for an mSATA drive. My one Replay has a KingSpec I think the brand is mSATA in it. This is the brand that would have come in one installed by DreamArcades.

My other has a Dogfish 120GB in it.

While looking up the brands to reply to your post here I noticed that these USB C to SATA enclosures are a thing. The bottom of the Replay has a USB C port that acts like a SATA port.

I do not know if these will work. I just happened to notice they exist. If you were to try it you would have to turn your Replay upside down since the port is on the bottom.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

mviars
Member Level 1
Member Level 1
Loading…

Post by mviars » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:45 am

I believe I ordered the standard one with 4 gig system ram and 32 gig for win10. So I should have an open slot?

Anyone know the largest size mSATA that will work for this?

Mireille2015

Post by Mireille2015 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:01 am

If I'm not mistaken, it should handle up to 2TB mSATA just fine. Of course, larger the memory, higher the costs.

WheatPasta wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 pm

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:47 am

mviars wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:45 am
Anyone know the largest size mSATA that will work for this?
For the mSATA in terms of storage capacity the largest I have seen at a glance is 1TB, and they are a bit expensive.
This 1TB Samsung mSATA is currently $168.

Here is a picture of the top off and an mSATA installed.

If you mean you want to try something like that enclosure I mentioned then the largest size is a 2TB 2.5 inch drive. A 3TB 2.5 inch drive is a few mm bigger (15mm over all), and it will not fit in a stock Replay bay or that enclosure linked above
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

mviars
Member Level 1
Member Level 1
Loading…

Post by mviars » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah I really do not want a standalone drive. Too many cable and power supplies to deal with when traveling.

really wish I would have gotten the add-on accessory drive kit when available as no one has one for sale except the foreign amazon sites that do not ship to US.

The Internal mSATA slot would be nice to use as it keeps the overall unit small but only 1TB and at around $170 makes it last option choice for me. May just wait a little while and see if the accessory drive bays come back in stock.