Factory Reset?

All the megabytes you can eat! Discuss anything related to hardware right here. Got a cool gaming rig you want to show off? Is green better than red? How's that case mod coming along?
Pickle
Member Level 3
Member Level 3

Factory Reset?

Post by Pickle » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:34 am

so here's a question:
Say down the line I wished to sell or Gift my Replay, is there no Factory Reset??? I was looking through all the options and didn't see one
----------------------------------------------
I just saw that it is being ironed out. interesting.
Last edited by WheatPasta on Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post.

WheatPasta
Loading…

Re: Factory Reset?

Post by WheatPasta » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:02 am

Pickle wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:34 am
I just saw that it is being ironed out. interesting.
I tried my best to get it to work like I thought I should. However if you catch my new announcement that is the best I can do at the moment. If anything notices something I missed please let me know.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

matt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by matt » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:00 pm

Pickle wrote:
Say down the line I wished to sell or Gift my Replay, is there no Factory Reset??? I was looking through all the options and didn't see one
The issue with the missing built-in reset is that it would take an additional 6.6GB of space on the main drive, which would not leave enough space for Windows updates or games.
I think the ultimate solution is that we provide a custom tool to factory reset the device. We could also have it automatically update the device to the latest build version, and have an option to clear out any extra downloaded games on installed drives.
It's dangerous to go alone! Take this. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuFVQ7HCQAAbgpz.jpg

Pickle
Member Level 3
Member Level 3

Post by Pickle » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:46 pm

matt wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:00 pm
Pickle wrote:
The issue with the missing built-in reset is that it would take an additional 6.6GB of space on the main drive, which would not leave enough space for Windows updates or games.
I think the ultimate solution is that we provide a custom tool to factory reset the device. We could also have it automatically update the device to the latest build version, and have an option to clear out any extra downloaded games on installed drives.
that would be pretty cool.

WheatPasta
Loading…

Post by WheatPasta » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:52 am

matt wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:00 pm
I am really looking forward to this. Since I have been having a few issues while I have been playing around with different ways to set up a Recovery I would love it if there was a way to at least download the front end and required software to get the front end going it self, and then the rest could be in the extras menu, and people could choose what they wanted to download back.

Perhaps set up a page on the forum domain that anyone registered to the site with the Replay owner badge under their user name could have access to the page to re download the front end. A lot of the functionality is turned off when it not registered (You can't even update it without it being registered.)

Ever since I have backed it up it will launch on my PC but I can't do much there because it is not registered. However I have noticed that dragging the same back up over to the Replay sometimes I get an error that states.

Dream Arcades Menu could not load file SlimDX.dll or one of it; dependencies. The specified module could not be found
at Arcade.MainForm..ctor (String[] args)
at at Arcade.Program.Main (String[] args)
Even though SlimDX.dll is in the folder.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

Mireille2015

Post by Mireille2015 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:34 pm

A non registered Replay will also forfeit other capabilities, like using Retro Reload.
Last edited by Mireille2015 on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be sure to visit WheatPasta and me on Discord. Where we can respond quicker and get you resolved on your issue quickly!

jsawhite
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Post by jsawhite » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:03 pm

So I'd actually used Macrium Reflect's bootable USB drive (freeware imaging tool) and took an image of the machine before I even booted it up the first time. The image file is just a bit over 8G in size. I've actually used this several times as I've screwed around with thing and broke the front end. Also to play with doing a win10lite run on the first boot to free up limited disk space removing things i don't need (like onedrive)... Maybe they need to look into something like that to have people do when they first get their devices...

jsawhite
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Post by jsawhite » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:08 pm

oh and I also used it so I could do a clean install of Win 10. Which I can confirm activates automatically. I had to flit back and forth (between retrocade install and clean one) to get all the drivers working. There was one that was difficult to figure out as it doesn't have any driver files. I was able to export the registry settings to get it working...

from what I can tell the replay ID you use is tied to the hardware and like a MS key, you can reuse it on the same device. At least it let me the half a dozen times I re activated it after imaging... *shrug*

Mireille2015

Post by Mireille2015 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:37 pm

jsawhite wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:08 pm
oh and I also used it so I could do a clean install of Win 10. Which I can confirm activates automatically. I had to flit back and forth (between retrocade install and clean one) to get all the drivers working. There was one that was difficult to figure out as it doesn't have any driver files. I was able to export the registry settings to get it working...

from what I can tell the replay ID you use is tied to the hardware and like a MS key, you can reuse it on the same device. At least it let me the half a dozen times I re activated it after imaging... *shrug*
Nice. Might give it a try
Be sure to visit WheatPasta and me on Discord. Where we can respond quicker and get you resolved on your issue quickly!

jsawhite
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Post by jsawhite » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:03 am

well..... it seems that I found a glitch in my reset image...

Apparently, there is a limit to the number of times you can activate a key. I assumed it was tied to a hardwareID, but apparently not... I just tried to activate my cd key and got a "Maximum number of devices registered to this key has been reached"... Crap. guess I get to contact them to see if my front end is now worthless or not...

Just fyi for the rest of you folks... I like the way the reset worked with my image, but you can only do it a limited number of times... disappointing.