Sega Based Systems

If you have any trouble getting emulators to run properly then check here for help.
Rabscuttle

Re: Sega Based Systems

Post by Rabscuttle » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:11 pm

When you guys say Genesis is running under MAME, how do you mean? Are you just dropping the Genesis roms into the MAME directory?

I've got NES, MAME, and Atari 2600 working. Tried a PS1 and Atari 7800 game as an experiement and it didn't seem to load. But my main goal right now is to get Genesis up and running if possible in time for Christmas, as it's my husband's favorite system.

Any advice? From what I've read here, it shouldn't need a BIOS, but it's not working. I'm digging around the site to troubleshoot, but will check back here too.

Happy holidays!
Mireille2015 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:42 am

Genesis is running under MAME. But, you can tell Genesis to run Kega emulator. And that requires couple edits on the correct cfg. file.

WheatPasta
Loading…

Post by WheatPasta » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:48 pm

Rabscuttle wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:11 pm
Any advice?
I think he means that the Replay front end is using MAME to play Genesis games. There seems to be a conflicting issue if I remember correctly.

MAME seems to be using a MegaDrive (The PAL and Japan release of the Genesis) driver called megadriv.cpp. This can cause some games to not run correctly or not run at all if they are region locked. The Retro Reload is grabbing the US version of roms. There are two ways to fix this. Either find Sega romset that is set up to work with MAME, or look here on how to use Kega Fusion to run Sega Games from the front end.

EDIT I also just seen in a prior post in the thread here that you can try renaming them see here

As always my personal advice would be to try out using Launch Box with Retro Arch instead of the stock front end.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

Mireille2015

Post by Mireille2015 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:40 pm

I do apologize for the confusion. MAME is the main emulator for most systems on the Replay. The Dreamcade Front End is designed to accept various roms in a separate folder. You can find this at C:\roms

Adding any roms to the main mame directory will not play. Found in C:\mame\roms

As for Sega Genesis. The rom folder is located at C:\roms\megadrive.
Megadrive is the Europe/Japan version of genesis. This is where you place the genesis games. As WheatPasta stated before, some users are experiencing rom issue compatability. An alternative was switch emulator to Kega Fusion or recommend WheatPasta's advice and use LaunchBox.

Please dont hesitate to ask more questions!!
Be sure to visit WheatPasta and me on Discord. Where we can respond quicker and get you resolved on your issue quickly!

Rabscuttle

Post by Rabscuttle » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:52 pm

Thanks so much for the quick replies. So Kega Fusion, it's a separate program to the Dreamcade, i.e., it'll be separate desktop shortcut, is that correct?

I'm looking into installing that, and will also try putting Genesis roms in the /megadrive folder. I feel like I may not have done that.

Again, thanks to both. I am LOVING this device so far. :)

Mireille2015

Post by Mireille2015 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:21 pm

Kega Fusion is actually installed on the Replay. It emulates the 32x. Click this link. Scroll down. For Kega Fusion. I explain setting up and other functions.

viewtopic.php?t=1301

Note: You can find Kega Fusion in C:\emulators\genesis
Be sure to visit WheatPasta and me on Discord. Where we can respond quicker and get you resolved on your issue quickly!

Bootleghooch
Member Level 3
Member Level 3

Post by Bootleghooch » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:55 am

Did anyone have any luck remapping the default controller buttons for Genesis in Mame?

I tried mapping through the DA menu so ABC is XAB on the DA controller. When I get into the games, X=C, A=A, and B=B. I fixed it temporarily through the Mame menu, but it doesn’t stick.

Any ideas?

Mireille2015

Post by Mireille2015 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:43 pm

What type of controller are you using?