Fresh Windows 10 install

Post here if you have support issues that are not related to the specific topics above.
irksum

Fresh Windows 10 install

Post by irksum » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:30 pm

Is there anyway to install Windows 10 fresh? I was never clear on when buying a computer like this without a disk drive or a copy of Windows how you reinstall Windows. My mouse stopped working and I don't even care about the Dreamcade aspect. I'd just like to use the box as a Windows PC.

jsawhite
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Re: Fresh Windows 10 install

Post by jsawhite » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:23 am

you can download the media creation tool from Microsoft for Win 10 Home. It will let you create a USB boot drive you can use to install. No CD key necessary as the hardware is activated. Just skip the question for the key. I've done this several times and never had a problem. I'm pretty sure WheatPasta has done a video on just this...

jsawhite
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Post by jsawhite » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:25 am

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:39 pm

jsawhite wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:25 am
found it...
I'm glad you found my video useful. I also have other videos on getting different PC games, front ends, and emulators running.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

irksum

Post by irksum » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:41 am

So it seems I need to be on a Windows machine to download the Windows 10 media creation tool. I thought I'd be able to download the files via my Chromebook, but Microsoft reroutes me to download the .iso for Windows 10.

"You’ve been routed to this page because the operating system you’re using won’t support the Windows 10 media creation tool and we want to make sure you can download Windows 10. To use the media creation tool, visit the Microsoft Software Download Windows 10 page from a Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 device.

You can use this page to download a disc image (ISO file) that can be used to install or reinstall Windows 10. The image can also be used to create installation media using a USB flash drive or DVD."

Mireille2015

Post by Mireille2015 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:21 pm

There is another solution, if you wish to do a clean install. Which means all previous files and programs will be deleted. Just PM me or look for me in Discord.
"There is no Replay! Only Zuul!"

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:50 pm

irksum wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:41 am
Microsoft reroutes me to download the .iso for Windows 10.
The MCT is an exe that runs in Windows. It basically is a front end that downloads an iso and burns a USB stick for you.

If you are on a Chromebook you should be able to download the ISO and then use this tool. I read it has a use local media option which should allow you to select you downloaded Windows ISO and go from there.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.