South Park N64

This is the place to talk about games. Post a list of your favorites, discuss any upcoming games you are excited about, etc.
Mireille2015

Re: South Park N64

Post by Mireille2015 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:00 pm

If your running out of room on C drive. Does it mean you have a good amount of roms in C drive? Or need to delete the trash bin?

Regardless if you go with mSata (internal) or a 2.5 HD for the expansion port. Just need a quick format. Thats it. No cloning is required. You really don't want mess with the bios and misconfigure something wrong. Its best to boot from C drive and store roms on another drive.

I have mSATA installed as D drive and 2.5 HD installed as H drive.

If you wish to boot up from mSATA, then WheatPasta would be your guy to ask.
"There is no Replay! Only Zuul!"

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:39 pm

fowlken8 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:19 pm
My unit DOES have the expansion bay as well. Regarding a 2.5" SSD, the SATA is NOT internal right? it fits into the expansion bay area?
Okay let's see if I can help get you sorted. This one is going to be a little long winded, but I truly believe this is the best way to set up the Replay.

First if space is an issue my advice would be to buy an internal mSATA drive. I have this one. To install this you will have to open the Replay and slide it into the mSATA port on the motherboard. It is pretty easy, and ETA Prime has done a video about it here. In the first part of the video he takes the Replay apart, and then he removes the mSATA.

Once you have your mSATA drive installed you can follow the video I made here to install Windows on the mSATA drive. Once you have that done you should be able to go to Computer, then find the EMMC drive, and copy over the folders that have the Replay front end to your new C drive. However I would personally move over to Launch Box. More systems are supported and games will run a little better. I have made a video on how to set up Retro Arch and Launch Box on my YouTube channel. I would make a folder on the hard drive in your Replay Bay and then install Launch Box, Retro Arch, and your games to that drive.

Regarding South Park on N64 I used a USB wired Retro Link N64 controller. When plugged in Windows recognizes it as a Generic USB Controller.

I launched Project 64 manually. At first a please support the team pop up came up. I closed it, and then I could not get Project 64 to come up. I tried clicking it in the task bar. I also tried ALT + TAB. I ended up having to bring up the Task Manager and then Maximizing Project 64 from there

Once I was able to get into Project 64 I went to options, and then selected configure controller plug in. It took a moment to come up.

When it comes up make sure that Plugged is checked. Once checked click each box with a N64 button label and remap to your N64 style controller. After mapped it is a good idea to click Save Profile and save a copy of the config to the Project 64 folder.
The game took a moment, but it seemed to load fine. I got 30 FPS in South Park until a bunch of turkeys came for me. Then it dipped down to 20-25. I tried both video plug ins for a moment and they both seemed okay.

I then tried it in Launch Box using the Mupen64Plus core. The game seems to run a lot better there at 60FPS. However while RetroArch recognized that I had a Retro Link N64 controller plugged in and had it named correctly the buttons did not auto map correctly. Thus the game was hard to play.

I might take a stab at manually remapping the buttons, or I might give my Retro Bit Bluetooth N64 controller a try. If i can get it sorted it seems like Retro Arch will play the game better. I tried the stand alone version of Mupen64 Plus. However you need a seperate GUI front end as the Windows version is only a command line interface. I could not figure out how to map the controller in the GUI, and the stand alone only ran at 30FPS.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

fowlken8
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Post by fowlken8 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:47 pm

Alright, I ordered a 256gb msata.

Pray for me haha I'll look over your "how to" and try to familiarize myself with things. I'll of course have questions along the way!

Side question, I haven't ever taken apart a pc before, in watching his video he talks about the 32 gb of internal storage with the optional 128gb ssd. These two are separate? I figured I was going to remove a 32gb ssd and replace it with a bigger one. If this is a simple insertion of a card into the motherboard it should be quite easy.

If my goal is to have the system boot off of the original drive still, how can I do this while utilizing the 256gb ssd for storage? I can move roms over (which I don't have that many) and maybe other programs like netflix, etc. but I don't know how this can open up much space. Like I had mentioned, I was unable to update the intel graphics card because i didn't have enough room on the drive (~854mb). Will this new drive allow for these processes to occur?

Mireille2015

Post by Mireille2015 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:35 pm

Taking the Replay apart is quite simple. All you need is a small Philips screwdriver to remove (4) four screws where the rubber feet are on the bottom. When removing the top cover, you need to be careful, due to the LED wiring. Its long enough to set aside. On the side of where the cooling fan sits. You will see a slot for the mSATA. Just pop it in, it will be angled, then screw the (2) two screws down. (should be leveled). And now your done, just replace the top and screw it back up. Allow Windows to find it and format it. Be sure to go into the Front End, change download location to your new drive. This will create a new roms folder in it.

As far as your original C drive 32 GB. Its soldered. Non removable. One solution to free up memory is go to C:\roms folder and transfer each folder that has roms to the new drive. Be sure to delete the roms in C drive or you will have duplicate and will show up in your game menu twice.

Another memory hog is PikoGames. Now this is up to you completely, delete it or keep it. Not all PikoGames can be transferred to the new drive. There are scripts written that specifically to find PikoGames in C drive in order to work. My personal preference, I deleted every rom that came with Replay. I already had these games prior to the Kickstarted campaign. I have roughly 10GB of free space. Make sure your trash bin is empty as well.

Don't worry, if you have any more questions, WheatPasta, myself and others are here to help!!
"There is no Replay! Only Zuul!"

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:11 pm

fowlken8 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:47 pm
I'll of course have questions along the way!
That's what we are here for. The only stupid question is an un-asked one. If you need to get a hold of Mireille2015 or myself you are more then welcome to PM us, join the discord, or quote one of our posts then where what ever we wrote just erase and put a few dots in between the tags. This will alert us to look to make sure we don't miss your question.

In regards to the 32GB of internal storage this is EMMC memory that is soldiered to the motherboard, and it is non removable. If you wanted you could have the system boot off of the original 32GB drive still, and then once booted the mSATA drive should show up in the Computer area in Windows just like an empty plugged in hard drive would.

Here is a picture of the top removed.

Once installed boot the Replay, log into Windows, and see if you can find the drive under the Computer area. If not it more then likely needs to be assigned a drive letter. Once that is done power it off, put the top back on and you should be all set.

You should be able to create a folder on which ever drive you choose, and then tell the Windows Store to install things like Netflix there. You should also be able to click Start, go to PC Setting, then Apps, and sort by size to see what programs are taking up all your space.

If you want to stick with the stock front end and have issues Mireille2015 should be able to get you sorted. If you want to install Windows on your mSATA and move over to Launch Box i'll help get you set one way or another. Which ever you decide we will be around.

EDIT shortened my post a bit Mireille2015 knocked out some of the points while I was between typing and posting.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

fowlken8
Member Level 1
Member Level 1

Post by fowlken8 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:25 am

Whoa piko games freed up like 5 gb of space.

Still have a 256gb headed my way though

Side question, I need a longer cabled power supply so I can mount this behind my tv. What are the specs? Is it just a standard 12v dc with 2.5a?

Steve
Staff
Staff

Post by Steve » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:11 pm

Output says 12v - 2500mA at least on the plug
I'm Lank from California!

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:35 pm

fowlken8 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:25 am
What are the specs? Is it just a standard 12v dc with 2.5a?
Matt mentioned this awhile back.
matt wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:16 am
The power cable is not specific to the Replay. It uses the common barrel-type plug.
12V DC, 2.5A minimum, center positive.
5.5mm x 2.1mm should fit.
I am also working on testing my RetroBit/8BitDo N64 Bluetooth controller in a moment. I'll edit my post shortly.

EDIT: I made sure to update the 8BitDo. It is a little more playable out of the box, but the physical B button seems to be mapped to the A button as well as a few other mix ups. It would be an easy sort if I could figure out how to correctly map them in RetroArch. The mapping is a little confusing.