fan replacement suggestions?

All the megabytes you can eat! Discuss anything related to hardware right here. Got a cool gaming rig you want to show off? Is green better than red? How's that case mod coming along?
1trizz

fan replacement suggestions?

Post by 1trizz » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:14 pm

the fan in my dreamcade is making a bad winding sound and I don't think it has much time left on it. any advice for a better replacement?

Mireille2015

Re: fan replacement suggestions?

Post by Mireille2015 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:37 am

1trizz wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:14 pm
the fan in my dreamcade is making a bad winding sound and I don't think it has much time left on it. any advice for a better replacement?
I believe WheatPasta can help with this. Since he has swapped his out. I need to do the same. I'll ping him.
WheatPasta wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:15 pm
Be sure to visit WheatPasta and me on Discord. Where we can respond quicker and get you resolved on your issue quickly!

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:26 am

1trizz wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:14 pm
First I would open it and make sure that none of the cabling is causing issues. If they are not and you are still having issues there are two ways to go about it.

The correct way to do it would be to replace the stock fan with an aftermarket one. You can also replace the thermal pad with good thermal paste. I tried it this way. However I am not very good at soldiering. Thus it didn't go well.
There is a thread about it on the AcePC AK1 forum here
The user there linked to the 12 volt version. However the stock Replay fan is 5 volts.

The wing it way to do it is to leave the top cover off, install a heat sink, and install a 120MM PC case fan on top, and by install on top I mean tape it down to the Replay. It does not look pretty, but it is silent and pushes a lot of air.

If you choose to wing it you can use an all in one solution like this. This is all one piece, and it has a speed switch. If you happened to have some PC case fans laying around, or if you would rather buy a name brand fan to use you can get a USB to 3/4 pin cable like this

I had a few Corsair case fans laying around from and old PC build. Thus I winged it and just bout the cable. At the moment I have two 120MM case fans on my Replay using a fan split I had, then underneath I have a heat sink on the board.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

cybrsage
Loading…

Post by cybrsage » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:44 pm

I purchased a set of two 40mm usb powered fans from Amazon. I kept the heat sink that came with the replay and removed the fan. I notched the case of the replay to allow the usb cables out from the inside and drilled a bunch of small holes in a vent style pattern above where the CPU sits. I put one fan on the higher part of the heat sink and one on the lower part of the heat sink.

The lid just sits on, I cannot screw it in (not until I buy some larger screws), but it is silent and it looks good. I ran Prime95 on CPU torture mode for 4 hours without any issues. I am not overclocking anything (yet).

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:49 pm

cybrsage wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:44 pm
it is silent and it looks good.
When you have time would you mind taking a few pictures? Your setup sounds interesting.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

cybrsage
Loading…

Post by cybrsage » Sun May 05, 2019 8:56 pm

WheatPasta wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:49 pm
cybrsage wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:44 pm
it is silent and it looks good.
When you have time would you mind taking a few pictures? Your setup sounds interesting.
I have two pics of it, not quite finished. I will have to dig it out to show it assembled, it is in the back of the top of a cabinet.

Basically, the only difference is that I cut a small slot for the cables to travel out and put the top on. Now I just have to find some good overclocking programs that will actually overclock that board and video. BIOS has it locked down.

EDIT: Would help if I actually added the pics!
Inside.jpg
Inside.jpg (209.13 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Top.jpg
Top.jpg (464.13 KiB) Viewed 790 times

Mireille2015

Post by Mireille2015 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:57 pm

That is one way to cool that bad boy, LOL. I did swap the stock fan to NF-A4x10 5v 40X10mm premium fan. Soldered two leads for pos/neg from the bottom of the PCB from a non 3.0 compliant USB (which still allows me to use it) and allow the fan to continuously run while powered on. I have noticed that the stock fan only comes on when needed, and blows air from the side to cool the heatsink. Which to me, is bad. On the new fan, I noticed the CPU temp is running much cooler.
Be sure to visit WheatPasta and me on Discord. Where we can respond quicker and get you resolved on your issue quickly!

WheatPasta

Post by WheatPasta » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:48 pm

cybrsage wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:56 pm
I have two pics of it, not quite finished. I will have to dig it out to show it assembled, it is in the back of the top of a cabinet.
I never thought to do it like that. Sorry for missing this earlier. Thanks for the pics. It looks awesome.