ACEPC AK1 Hard drive bays

If you have hardware related issues with your Replay unit then look here for answers. If you can't find your answer, then make a post and someone will help you out.
8bitmemory

ACEPC AK1 Hard drive bays

Post by 8bitmemory » Sun May 19, 2019 8:02 pm

I didn't pre-order the dreamcade with the optional hard drive bay. But, I recently found the ACEPC AK bay by itself on Amazon. I tried plugging it up to the dreamcade and I found that Windows couldn't locate the 120 GB dad that I enclosed. I'm new to Windows and am wondering if I missed a step to make that drive recognizable or if the ACEPC AK1 bay was just faulty. Any ideas?

Mireille2015

Re: ACEPC AK1 Hard drive bays

Post by Mireille2015 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:16 am

WheatPasta wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:21 pm
"There is no Replay! Only Zuul!"

WheatPasta
Loading…

Post by WheatPasta » Tue May 21, 2019 3:03 pm

8bitmemory wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:02 pm
Any ideas?
With the drive and bay installed boot into Windows. Then start, and type diskmgmt. This will bring up Windows Disk Management. In here see if your installed drive is listed. Make sure you find the right drive. Then right click on it, and select to format or initialize drive.
Hopefully after it does you can now see it listed in Windows.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.

8bitmemory

Post by 8bitmemory » Tue May 21, 2019 4:25 pm

Yeah I tried that. I was able to use that method to get windows to recognize the same SSD when plugged in through the 3.O USB port on the back of the machine, but not when using the HD enclosure bay that uses a type C port on the bottom of the machine. I wonder if there are compatibility issues between the SSD and the bay. Does anyone know the exact make and model hard drive that came with Replay if you pre-ordered?

WheatPasta
Loading…

Post by WheatPasta » Fri May 24, 2019 11:56 am

8bitmemory wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:25 pm
Does anyone know the exact make and model hard drive that came with Replay if you pre-ordered?
The only other thing I could think of is that the bay or drive is not seated correctly. I would imagine from plugging in it the port that you have had the bay on and off a few times though. It sucks that you are having an issue. A few members have bought it, and it seems to work okay for them.

I am not sure what bay drive came pre-installed as an option, but if you ordered a pre-installed mSATA I believe it was KingSpec brand. Something like this

Linus Tech Tips did a video about SSD speeds, and if I remember correctly King Spec was a little on the lower end. Thus I would imagine that getting a hold of that brand wouldn't help much. I have a 2TB Seagate in mine, and have not had any issues.
If you are having a software problem be it front end, Windows, or want to try RetroArch and LauchBox but need help feel free to contact me. Post on the forum, PM here, or on Discord. I will be more then happy to do my best to get you sorted.